Make a backdated Housing Benefit claim

If your claim for Housing Benefit is successful we usually pay you benefit from the Monday after the day we receive your claim.

How to apply

If you want us to consider backdating your claim and you have a good reason for not claiming earlier, you must make a request in writing and send it to the Housing Benefit team.

Where to write to

Barnet Council Benefit Service

PO Box 238



Housing benefit query form for claimants

Tel: 020 8359 2000

Type Talk: 18001 020 8359 2000

What you should tell us

Tell us what date you want the benefit to start from and why you didn't claim earlier. You will need to give a valid reason and provide proof in support of your reasons for backdating.

A valid reason might be:

  • you didn’t immediately claim benefit after leaving hospital
  • you were ill and had no one to make a claim on your behalf
  • you didn’t understand that you could claim benefit
  • somebody in your family recently died
  • you couldn’t reasonably have been expected to know your rights
  • you’ve been wrongly advised by the local authority, Job Centre Plus, Citizens Advice, etc.
  • you’re unable to manage your affairs and do not have an appointee (somebody to do it for you)
  • you’ve recently been detained in custody and were not given a parole officer

Not being aware that you could claim Housing or Council Tax Benefit will not normally be considered a valid reason.

If you're under 60

Your claim can only be backdated for a maximum of one month.

If you're 60 or over

Your claim can only be backdated for a maximum of three months.