Apply for Universal Credit

Barnet is a ‘full service’ Universal Credit area.  This means in most cases these existing benefits are replaced by one single monthly payment:

  • Housing Benefit. Except if you are in sheltered accommodation, are of pension credit age and in some other cases where you will still need to apply for Housing Benefit  as well as Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income Related Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support

The main changes to previous benefits

  • You can only apply for Universal Credit online
  • Universal Credit will be paid directly to one person in the household each month
  • Any help with rent is included in the Universal Credit payment. You are responsible for paying your landlord.

When you apply, your identity will be checked using Once the application has been submitted and your assessment completed, your first payment should arrive in 5 weeks.

Apply for Universal Credit

You can get help with your application for Universal Credit at your local JobCentre or by calling the Welfare Reform Task Force on 020 8359 2442.

Advanced Payments (AP)

You can request an Advance Payment during the time your application is processed (normally 5 weeks). Advance Payments can be paid within 3 days and cover up to 100% of  your total Universal Credit. The advance is a loan that can be paid back over a 12-month period.

You can apply for Advance Payments from the JobCentre at interview or via the Universal Credit helpline

Telephone: 0800 328 5644

Textphone: 0800 328 1344

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Alternative Payment Arrangements (APA)

If you can’t manage the standard Universal Credit payment, you can set up Alternative Payment Arrangements. Claimants or landlords can arrange for direct payment to the landlord, splitting of payment between members of a couple or a more frequent payment of benefit. You should speak to your Work Coach at the JobCentre to find out more. Landlords can request APA by completing a UC47 form, available on the website.

Get help with your claim

If you have any queries about your claim you can call the Universal Credit helpline for free on:

Telephone: 0800 328 5644

Textphone: 0800 328 1344

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Council Tax Support and Free School Meals

You must apply for Council Tax Support and Free School Meals separately.

Get extra help with money

If you are struggling with money you should speak to your landlord immediately.

You can get help from these places:

Welfare Reform Team

Telephone: 020 8359 2442 

Money Advice Service

Telephone: 0800 138 7777 - calls are free

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm

Saturday, 9am to 1pm

Sunday and Bank Holidays, closed - webchat with an advisor available.

  • Free, impartial money advice
  • Budget planning
  • Alternative to payday loans

Barnet Citizens' Advice Bureau

0300 456 8365
Monday – Friday 9:30 am – 4:00 pm and until 7.30pm on Wednesdays.

Free confidential and impartial benefits and debt advice